Saturday, November 13, 2010

Vegan MoFo 13.1: Masi Cat Recovery and Curried “Unfried” Rice

Friday morning Masi was better but still a little wobbly when he tried to walk. Additionally he was not judging distance well when jumped which meant I was worried. Of course I called the vet’s office first thing in the morning and since Masi was improving, eating and drinking they said I shouldn’t worry … yet. Apparently long haired cats tend to have difficulty recovering from anesthesia. Since we hadn’t had any problem with anesthesia recovery previously this was new info for me. My plan was to keep a watchful eye on my cat clan during the day which meant no running my usual Friday errands.


Breakfast for me was collard wraps with fat-free hummus, red pepper strips, broccoli sprouts and raw sunflower seeds. I eat these often because they are quick, filling and nutritious.

By mid-afternoon my little Masi was napping so that I could do a few things. You don’t realize how busy cats actually are until you try to follow one around all day to make certain he is stable when he jumps. No wonder my boy cats are so slender. If they are awake they are moving. That is probably a good tip for all of us. ;-)


I had planned to spend some time in the kitchen but never really got the chance with the feline surveillance. I did find time to make some brown rice to put in the refrigerator for later. Both Dan and I enjoyed the “unfried” rice from earlier in the week so I decided I would make another variation of it for dinner tonight. Since the rice was ready it only took 5 minutes to prep the veggies and then less than 10 minutes to cook dinner. I need to make more of this type of meal. I think this may be my current favorite fast meal.

Curried “Unfried” Rice
Serves 4

Ingredients:

¾ cup brown basmati rice
1 ½ cup water for cooking the rice
½ yellow onion, peeled and diced (allow to stand 10 minutes before heating so the thiopropanal sulfoxide can develop)
4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced (allow to stand 10 minutes before heating so the allicin can develop)
1 tablespoon fresh ginger, finely minced
1 ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
1 teaspoon coriander seed
½ teaspoon cumin seeds
14 ounce can diced tomatoes (or 2 cups of fresh peeled diced tomatoes with the juice)
1 carrot, thinly sliced on a mandoline or you can julienne
1 parsnip, thinly sliced on a mandoline or you can julienne
2 cups cauliflower, minced so it cooks quickly
2 tablespoons hot crushed peppers (wet hots)
freshly ground black pepper, to taste (be generous the piperine in the black pepper keeps the turmeric bioavailable longer so you absorb more of it)
2 cups spicy greens, thinly sliced
¼ cup cilantro, finely minced
¼ cup roasted cashews for garnish

Directions:

Cook the rice and store it in the refrigerator until needed. Cold rice seems to make better fried rice than hot rice. I learned this long ago making the traditional version and it does seem to result in a final dish that is free of clumps of rice. Try using cold rice I think you will be surprised how well it works.

To make the “unfried” rice place the onions, garlic, ginger, tomatoes, carrot, parsnip, cauliflower, and spices (and hot peppers) in a wok over high heat. Cook, stirring often, until the veggies are just starting to become tender. Now add the rice breaking it up with your hands as you add it. This helps to separate the grains. Stir to incorporate the spices and veggies with the rice. When the rice is hot and the veggies are as tender as you like turn off the heat and add the spicy greens and cilantro.

To serve, place a pile of the curried “unfried” rice on the plate and top with cashews.

Any veggies will work in this dish the important part is the spice combination. If you are not fond of turmeric you can add a little coconut milk or tahini to the pan to blunt the bitter taste of the spice. We are so accustomed to the flavor of turmeric I didn’t add either coconut milk or tahini but it would work if you think it is necessary. I added the cashews to this dish to provide fat since curcumin (in the turmeric) is fat soluble and I wanted to make certain that we were able to absorb as much as possible.

Nutritional Information:

Amount Per Serving
Calories - 301.67
Calories From Fat (17%) - 51.88

Total Fat - 6.2g
Saturated Fat - 1.17g
Cholesterol - 0mg
Sodium - 72mg
Potassium - 1040.25mg
Total Carbohydrates - 56.96g
Fiber - 9.79g
Sugar - 9.8g
Protein - 8.54g

Comments:

This is one of those recipes that you can make in moments. It is quick and nutritious my favorite combination in a recipe. If you prepare the veggies the night before the entire dish can be on the table in 10 minutes. Who wouldn’t love that on busy weeknight? In additional to being quick it also tastes good.

Thanksgiving menu:

The Thanksgiving menu options will be in tomorrow’s post. We ended up going out for dinner tonight (Saturday) which meant less computer time than I expected.

Happy Thoughts:

In keeping with my recent happy thoughts to end the post here are mine from today:

• Masi is about 95% back to normal now. Yay! Two feline dental procedures down one to go.
• Dan didn’t need to work today! You know how much I love that. LOL
• Tonight we went out for dinner. It was date night and we had a great time.  There will be details tomorrow since I got some tasty recipe ideas.  That is why I love eating Ian's food.  I always come home with a happy stomach as well as recipe ideas. ;-)
• We were able to spend time with our precious Aimee this evening which is always a pleasure. She is one of those people you can't help but love.

Signing out:

Since 6 am comes early it is time for us to wind down. Talk to you again tomorrow. I hope all of you are having a fabulous weekend.

13 comments:

  1. Ref you comment about long haired cats, very interesting as my cat Posky is long-haired and he is very intolerant of medication, reacted badly to a steroid and a painkiller! I do like your blog, wonderful pictures and the food is inspiring. Glad your kitty is on the mend :O)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barbara,

    I was very surprised when the vet mentioned that to me. He said he sees it frequently with Persians and assumes Turkish Angoras must have similar issues given Masi's reaction. Sorry to hear about Posky. I hope he/she is fine. Masi is doing much better.

    Glad you like the blog. If you ever have any questions please feel free to ask.

    Ali

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad to see the cats are doing better! The unfried rice looks great. I love putting the rice right in with the stir fried vegetables.

    I am also catching up on a whole week of posts - my reader was wonky and I mistakenly thought many of my favorite bloggers were on MoFo burnout. :( That said, it's great to see a photo of the two of you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jessica,

    Yes the cat clan is back to normal which means all is well here. ;-) I was a mess earlier, definitely an over protective cat mommy. LOL

    My reader has been acting up too. Thanks for letting me know it isn't just mine. But yes, I am experiencing a bit of MoFo burnout. ;-)

    Glad you liked the pics. I am not overly fond of pictures of myself but that one was a reasonable likeness. I think my friends might even recognize me, LOL.

    enjoy the rest of your weekend,
    Ali

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw man I love collard wraps so so much! And the rice looks scrumptious too!

    My cats are so lazy! They hardly ever move around unless its in the direction of the food bowl. I guess their just cranky ladies...

    MsKW

    misskitchenwitch.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad Masi Cat is getting better. That's good news. Yay for date night. Hope you had a good Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kitchen Witch,

    I am completely hooked on collard wraps. It is a shame it took me so long to try them. The whole idea of raw collards was weird to me initally but not any more. ;-)

    My boy cats are typically balls of boundless energy. My female is much more sedentary and our cats are all the same age. The activity level might be related to gender. :-/

    Ali

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Heather,

    I feel much better now that Masi is acting more like himself. He hasn't been racing through the house yet but it might be that his brother doesn't want to play yet. NIcco may still think Masi smells like the vet.

    We had a lovely date night and then we went out for brunch today. Ian is totally spoiling us. We even got a tofu scramble today and vegan chai flavored oatmeal pancakes. I took good notes of all the delicious food he made for us. ;-) Why Ian doesn't think he can cook vegan is a mystery to me.

    I hope you had a great weekend with Sarah,
    Ali

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your food always looks good. You are one of my favorite blogs! I really miss Green & Crunchy though. Did you used to follow her too?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Carissa,

    Thanks for the nice compliment, I really appreciate it. :-)

    I didn't read Green and Crunchy and it sounds like I missed something. Too bad I didn't know about it before.

    I hope you are having a good weekend,
    Ali

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad Masi is doing better.

    Those collard wraps look delish! I don't think I could eat one for breakfast though. I'm such a breakfast food type of person when it comes to eating breakfast.

    That unfried rice looks amazing! It looks like something you would see in a restaurant! I'm going to have to try that....for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Michelle,

    I feel much better now that Masi is behaving more like himself. He had us quite worried.

    I used to eat only breakfast food in the morning but now it doesn't matter to me. Whatever is available and healthy works for me. I would much rather our morning meal be healthy than "breakfasty" if that makes any sense. ;-)

    The rice is extremely easy. I hope my instructions make sense. It is a method you can flavor so many different ways. I also love that it comes together so quickly.

    Ali

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails