Monday, December 21, 2009

Baked Whole Wheat Empanadas



I haven’t made empanadas since last fall. Mine are always baked now, not fried because it is healthier. For the same reason mine dough is whole and sprouted wheat and not white flour.

To keep our dinner healthier I served a few of these with a little guacamole to dip them in, along with a big green salad with hummus. Both the hubby and I enjoyed these tonight. Here is what I made.

Baked Whole Wheat Empanadas
Makes 20

Dough Ingredients:

1 cup whole-wheat flour
½ cup sprouted whole-wheat flour (or substitute whole wheat flour)
¼ teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon canola oil
½ cup warm water, or more

Filling Ingredients:

½ red onion, peeled and finely diced
½ cup water
1 tablespoon tomato paste
½ cup golden raisins
½ pound ground seitan
¼ teaspoon oregano, dried
¼ teaspoon cumin seeds
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon chili powder
1 pinch salt
1 pinch pepper

1 tablespoon canola oil, for drizzling on top of finished prebaked empanadas

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line a half sheet pan with parchment paper, or silpat.

Place the dough ingredients in your food processor and process until combined. If the dough does not form a ball add a little more water, a tablespoon at a time until the dough forms. Wrap the finished dough in plastic cling film and set while you make the filling.

Water sauté the onion until soft. Add the remaining ingredients and stir to combine. You may need to add a little water or wine to encourage the tomato paste to meld with the other ingredients. Allow the filling to cool before placing in the dough.

Roll 1/6th of the dough as thin as you can. Cut out circles with your largest biscuit cutter (mine was approximately 3 inches). Place a tablespoon of the filling in the center of the dough and use your fingers to seal the dough. Then use a fork to crimp the edges. Place the empanada on the half sheet pan. Continue until all the dough has been used.

Drizzle the top of the empanadas with a little canola oil (I may have used a tablespoon), or spray the tops of the empanadas with canola oil spray. Bake the empanadas for 30 minutes until firm.

Serve hot with guacamole or lime flavored tofu sour cream for dipping.

Nutritional Information (for 1/20th of the recipe):

Amount Per Serving
Calories - 76.2
Calories From Fat (23%) - 17.62

Total Fat - 2.19g
Saturated Fat - 0.2g
Cholesterol - 0mg
Sodium - 145.63mg
Potassium - 80.35mg
Total Carbohydrates - 12g
Fiber - 1.84g
Sugar - 2.84g
Protein - 4.47g

Comments:

I was chatting with Rose today and she mentioned ravioli and after that I had filled dough on the brain. Since it had been so long since I made empanadas I thought they would taste good tonight. The hubby was quite quick to agree with me that this was a good idea for dinner. While this isn’t exactly health food, when the meal is more veggie than empanada it is still healthy.

Unrelated note:

Dan is taking tomorrow off so we are spending the day together. I don’t expect to be online much tomorrow and it may be Wednesday before I get another recipe posted, it depends on how much time we spend out of the house.

I still a few recipes from the weekend to post. Right now I have the following posts yet to write: porky seitan cutlets, veggie lo mein with black bean sauce, and revision to the chocolate covered date and walnut truffles.

I hope you all have a great day tomorrow. I will be back as soon as I can with another recipe or two.

15 comments:

  1. These looks like such a wonderful meal, full of flavors and textures.

    The empanadas sound like veritible flavor bombs...yum. I'm making these and the sweet potato hummus asap this week.

    Do you buy the sprouted w/w flour or make it yourself somehow?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rose,

    Wow you know me so well. I don't make the sprouted whole wheat flour, but I have been thinking about it. The brand I buy is from Shiloh Farms (it is in a dark blue bag). As soon as I figure out how to make it I will post the recipe. I think it will be simple, but since I haven't tried it yet I probably shouldn't say that.

    The hubby really likes the empanadas. He grabbed two more as he headed upstairs to shop online in his office tonight. I hope you like them too.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't ever had a WW version. I must try this!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marissa,

    Before I made these I hadn't had a whole-wheat version before either. I prefer them this way now. I hope you like them too.

    Dani,

    Thanks!

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alicia, will you just come over and start cooking for me please! Do you ever have a bad recipe? LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heather,

    LOL, of course sometimes things don't work out like I want them to. But, remember that I am old (47) so most of my mistakes were made long before I had a blog.

    I have been making this dough for a least a year. I use it for empanandas and samosas, both that I bake. It is a versatile dough but since it is baked (not fried), I think it needs a little something to dip the empanada or samosa in.

    The filling I made is a vegan version of a ground meat filling I used to make so nothing inventive there. I know it seems like I am creative, but really it is just almost 30 years of cooking experience. There aren't many new recipes ideas anywhere, just variations on a theme.

    talk to you later,
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alicia, those empanadas look so perfect! And I love hummus on salad. Looking at your empanadas reminds me that I've been wanting to make pierogi for the holidays.

    You and I are the same age, at least until Feb. when I will be 48.

    I hope you have a wonderful day off with your hubby!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm loving Mexican food these days, and these look perfect. I wonder if a GF version would work. . ?

    ReplyDelete
  9. These sound lovely! I bet they would make great samosas. Once the holidays are over, I'm going to be spending more time in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ricki,

    If you have a GF pie dough (which I know you must) I would try using a variation of that. I don't think I could come up with a GF version, but know you can.

    Janet,

    You are just a few months ahead of me. I will be 48 in May. So close to 50, very depressing. I am vain enough to not like this growing older thing. But as my brilliant friend says "it beats the alternative".

    Rose was also just telling me she wanted to make pierogies for the holiday. I emailed her the recipe I have used for years. I will email to you when I get home if you would like it.

    Brigid,

    I love samosas but never liked that they were fried. This dough works well. If you want to make a less "doughy" version I have also made samosas with whole wheat fillo dough. Not at all traditional, but still tasty.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hmm, I've never had empanadas. I may have to give them a try. The zucchini dish looks great, as well, that you make a couple of days ago. Have a happy holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks great! I was planning to try making empanadas in the next week (I've lived in Argentina for 1 year and a half, and never done it myself!)...maybe I'll give these a shot!

    I thought of you while reading updates on the Menu of Hope. I hope this doesn't come off as spammy (I have no personal interest in the project), but they just added another truffle package to the prizes, valued at $700! And since you've been talking about them, it made me think of you.

    Anyway, keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Alicia, I would love your pierogi recipe, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Blessedmama,

    Thanks! Empanadas are normally fried, but I bake mine. Baking results in a much drier dough so be certain to have a dipping sauce. I think your children will like them. Most kids seem to love to dip food.

    I really liked the zucchini and potato bake. That recipe will be making regular appearances at my house. Easy, quick and pretty. Can't beat that combo.

    Happy holidays to you too!

    PaganAngel,

    I haven't heard of the "Menu for Hope" before but I will definitely check it out. Thanks for suggesting it!

    Happy holidays,

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails