Friday, September 4, 2009

Peach and Cardamom Almond Ice Milk



I hadn’t made ice milk in a while so I thought the peaches I had left over from canning would make a nice ice cream flavor. I considered pureeing the peaches and adding them to the almond milk mixture but changed my mind and went with chunks. I used almond extract in this ice milk since almond flavor works well with peaches. Cardamom was included because I love cardamom and will add it to almost anything according to my husband. It goes great with peaches so I thought cardamom would be perfect here. The resulting ice milk was a hit with my husband he had half of it last night after a big dinner.

Peach and Cardamom Almond Ice Milk
Serves 4

Ingredients:

3 cups of almond milk
2 tablespoons arrowroot
4 tablespoons agave
¼ teaspoon cardamom
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 pinch of kosher salt
2 peaches, peeled, pitted and diced

Directions:

Combine the almond milk and arrowroot in a saucepan and whisk to thoroughly combine. When the arrowroot has been completely absorbed add the agave, cardamom, almond extract and kosher salt and whisk to combine.

Turn the heat on medium and cook, stirring constantly until the mixture begins to bubble around the outside edges, which happens at about 185 degrees. Remove the pan from the heat and immediately submerge the pan into a larger container filled with ice water and continue to whisk. You want to cool the mixture as quickly as possible and get it into a container with a lid and refrigerate until you completely cool.

Use your ice cream maker and follow the instructions given for your model. Add the peach pieces during the last couple of minutes of processing the ice cream.

Place the soft serve consistency mixture into containers with lids and freeze for at least an hour before serving.

Nutritional Information:

Amount Per Serving
Calories - 91.13
Calories From Fat (26%) - 23.26

Total Fat - 2.5g
Saturated Fat - 0.02g
Cholesterol - 0mg
Sodium - 186.05mg
Potassium - 320.16mg
Total Carbohydrates - 16.01g
Fiber - 3.48g
Sugar - 7.13g
Protein - 1.6g

Comments:

If you haven’t made almond ice milk before I should warn you that it freezes more completely than dairy or soymilk, although I don’t know why. I take this out of the freezer and sit it on the counter 20 minutes before I want to serve it to make it easier to dish. Make certain you cut your peach pieces small enough that they are easy to scoop and eat.

This ice milk tastes first of almond extract followed closely by cardamom. Peach is the tertiary flavor that you get from this dessert. My husband ate half of this so quickly last night I thought I better get a quick photo this afternoon before he gets home and eats the remainder of the container.

4 comments:

  1. This looks really good, and such intriguing flavors. I made peach ice cream using hemp milk a few weeks ago, and it didn't turn out very well. I'll have to give it another try with this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rose,

    I haven't tried hempmilk yet, although I love hulled hempseeds. Does the milk taste like pine nuts too?

    In my opinion the cardamom made the dish.... but, question the source, I am addicted.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  3. The milk itself doesn't taste like pine nuts to me, but it's creamier than rice or soy milk, which is why I thought it would make good ice cream. I don't think it was the hemp milk that ruined the ice cream though...I think it was just a bum recipe...or a bum recipe maker (he he).

    Conversely, I haven't tried almond milk...definitely going to put it on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rose,

    Thanks for the insight, sounds like I need to pick up some hempmilk when I get back to the healthfood store.

    I don't make ice cream or ice milk often, but I find that the non-dairy varieties tend to be more firm in general. I think the fat in the egg custard keeps the dairy versions softer. I thought about using coconut milk for the fat. If I try that and it has a better texture I will let you know.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails