Monday, July 6, 2009

Peach, Banana and Almond Smoothie



Monday morning and yet another breakfast smoothie makes an appearance at our house. As you may have noticed we like smoothies. I make many different variations of smoothies based on what I have in the house, and what sounds good to me that morning. Once you start making smoothies you will find yourself making many variations.

A few items are standard in my smoothies. I like to add a couple of tablespoons of nut butter (almond or peanut) to our smoothies for the healthy fat and a bit of protein. A little oatmeal is standard for thickness and extra fiber. At least one type of fruit is required, but more is not necessarily bad. A frozen banana adds thickness and potassium if you happen to have one. When I am awake (which was not the case this morning) I add two tablespoons of freshly ground flaxseed seeds to my smoothies for the omega 3 fats that are reported to reduce inflammation and help you body fight cancer. If the smoothie isn’t as thick as I like them I add a few ice cubes.

If you haven’t tried smoothies for breakfast I think you will like the ease of preparation and portability once you give homemade smoothies a try.

Peach, Banana and Almond Smoothie
Serves 2

Ingredients:

1 banana, frozen (peeled)
2 peaches, pitted and cut into chunks
2 tablespoons of almond butter (no salt or sweetener added)
2 cups of almond milk (no salt or sweetener added)
1/3 cup of oatmeal (dry)
¼ teaspoon of cinnamon
6 ice cubes

Directions:

Place everything in the blender and puree until completely smooth. Serve immediately in a chilled glass.

Nutritional Information:

Amount Per Serving
Calories - 391.44
Calories From Fat (32%) - 125.17

Total Fat - 14.64g
Saturated Fat - 1.56g
Cholesterol - 0mg
Sodium - 198.29mg
Potassium - 974.19mg
Total Carbohydrates - 57.16g
Fiber - 7.71g
Sugar - 30.95g
Protein - 13.95g

Comments:

The combination of peach and banana is good. I substituted cinnamon for yesterday’s nutmeg to help us process the fruit sugar more effectively and we liked the flavor better as well. This smoothie is missing the normal flaxseed because I wasn’t completely awake this morning when I made breakfast.

One of the great things about smoothies in general is that they are quick to make and to consume. If you are in a hurry you can put them in a too go cup and run out the door. The ingredients that I use in smoothies are the things I always have in my house. If you buy smoothies they are typically loaded with sweeteners (sometime they use sherbet or frozen yogurt in them), which are not good for your health.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails