Thursday, July 23, 2009

Green Tea Short Grain Brown Rice



My friend Reiko mentioned green tea rice one day at cooking class. I forgot about it until this morning when I was thinking about what to make for dinner tonight. Is this recipe authentic? Probably not since I made it without a recipe. However, the techinque worked, it is healthy, tastes good, and in the end those things are all that matter to me.

I used my pressure cooker because it is quick. However, you could make this your rice cooker or on top of the stove if you prefer. The oil was included in the recipe only because it was made in the pressure cooker and the oil keeps the rice from foaming.

Green Tea Short Grain Brown Rice
Serves 8

Ingredients:

2 cups of short grain brown rice
4 cups of water, filtered
3 tablespoons of green tea leaves
2 teaspoons of canola oil
1 teaspoon of kosher salt

Directions:

Rinse the rice thoroughly to remove the exterior starch and then drain. Place the rice and all the other ingredients in your pressure cooker and bring the cooker to high pressure and then cook for 18 minutes and release the pressure quickly.

Cool the rice and refrigerate until needed. I plan to use the cold rice for vegetable “fried” rice, cold rice salad, and for Korean style seitan with rice in a lettuce wrap. When I make rice, beans or other grains I always make extra so that I can use it for other meals later in the week. If we don’t finish the rice in 4 days, I store it in the freezer to use later.

Nutritional Information:

Amount Per Serving
Calories - 180.83
Calories From Fat (12%) - 22.32

Total Fat - 2.62g
Saturated Fat - 0.08g
Cholesterol - 0mg
Sodium - 241.22mg
Potassium - 34.07mg
Total Carbohydrates - 40.27g
Fiber - 3g
Sugar - 0g
Protein - 3g

Comments:

I am not certain how to describe the taste of this rice. It tastes somewhat of green tea, but I would say it has a more mineral undertone than a tea taste. The mineral back note is pleasant maybe more so because it was unexpected. My comments apply to the hot rice. If the taste changes when cold I will post an update.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails