Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Sweet and Spicy Bourbon Glaze



Who doesn’t love a big flavored glaze to use with seitan, tofu or tempeh? This glaze is sweet, hot, salty and flavorful. I used the agave to reduce the refined carbohydrates as well as calories. The bourbon adds a nice depth of flavor to the glaze. The liquid aminos provided salty flavor with much less sodium than soy sauce. The ginger is included for antioxidants as well as spicy flavor. The harissa adds a nice background heat. My reaction when I tasted this sauce for the first time was, “Wow, I need to write that down before I forget what I did.” I hope you give this glaze a try. I think it is a winner.

Sweet and Spicy Bourbon Glaze
Makes about a ½ cup after it is reduced

Ingredients:

1/3 cup of bourbon
1/3 cup of agave
¼ cup of liquid aminos
1 teaspoon of freshly grated ginger root
½ teaspoon of harissa

Directions:

Combine all ingredients in a heavy bottomed saucepan. Heat sauce over low heat until it has reduced by about a third. This took 15 minutes on my stove.

Uses for the glaze:

You can use this with seitan, tofu or tempeh. My favorite is to use it with seitan. I will be posting the instructions for the bourbon-glazed seitan later today.

Nutritional Information (for the entire recipe):

Amount Per Serving
Calories - 249.24
Calories From Fat (1%) - 1.76
Total Fat - 0.2g
Saturated Fat - 0.01g
Cholesterol - 0mg
Sodium - 3873.04mg
Potassium - 154.93mg
Total Carbohydrates - 18.54g
Fiber - 7.44g
Sugar - 2.92g
Protein - 0.65g

Comments:

I wanted a different glaze for seitan and this is what I came up with. You could add a little freshly grated garlic to this, or a few kefir lime leaves (or lime zest). This sauce is very versatile. I also think it would be great on grilled pineapple. I think you will be hooked once you try this sauce/glaze.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails