Monday, June 29, 2009

Green Salad with Bulgur and Dukkah



Salads are a mainstay of our diet. We eat them everyday, but salads can sometimes be boring. This salad is anything but your usual green salad. The bulgur is an interesting addition, but the Middle Eastern dukkah takes the salad over the top. This may be my new favorite green salad. I hope my husband likes it as much as I do.

Green Salad with Bulgur and Dukkah
Serves 1

Ingredients:

½ tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
½ tablespoon of sherry vinegar
kosher salt, to taste (numbers assume ¼ teaspoon)
black pepper, to taste
4 cups of mesclun greens, torn into bite sized pieces
6 grape tomatoes, cut into halves or quarters
2 inches of cucumber, halved and cut into thin half moons
4 tablespoons of cold cooked bulgur
½ tablespoon of dukkah, for garnish

Directions:

Combine the dressing ingredients (olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper) in a large bowl and whisk to combine. Add the remaining ingredients, except the dukkah. Toss to thoroughly combine the ingredients. You want the bulgur to be evenly distributed and to lightly coat the leaves.

Put the dressing salad into a bowl and sprinkle with dukkah and enjoy.

Nutritional Information:

Amount Per Serving
Calories - 183.22
Calories From Fat (46%) - 84.83

Total Fat - 9.82g
Saturated Fat - 1.28g
Cholesterol - 0mg
Sodium - 504.1mg
Potassium - 752.05mg
Total Carbohydrates - 21.13g
Fiber - 7.42g
Sugar - 1.13g
Protein - 5.79g

Comments:

I love salads, but unless you change them frequently they can be the least interesting part of the meal. Since salads are good to include in a meal, I am always looking for ways to make my salads a little unusual. The cooked bulgur adds protein, texture and color. The addition of bulgur is unusual enough to take this otherwise typical green salad to a new level. About a month ago I made some dukkah for bread and pasta topping. I thought why not add the dukkah to the salad. It turns out that dukkah is a fantastic salad topping. I don’t know if this is normally what they do with dukkah, but it is my favorite way to use it so far. The dukkah adds healthy fat and crunchy texture that I like. It also adds a subtle Middle Eastern note to the salad. If you are looking for a different salad from your usual give this one a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails