Friday, June 5, 2009

Dietary Changes to Reduce Cancer Risk


(completely unrelated picture of our cat Nicco that has gone back to bed for a nap)

Every few weeks I read another article on how reducing your overall consumption of animal products can reduce the risk of some form of cancer. I am predisposed to notice these types of articles due to my history, but why doesn’t this get more attention in the mainstream media?

We seem to live in a country where the consumption of animal products is almost worshiped. I will never understand why people cling to meat and cheese as though it is a religion. Sure, it tastes good. I doubt there are many people alive that can honestly say that they don’t like the taste of some type of animal flesh or cheese. However, if you can reduce your probability of becoming another cancer statistic by reducing your intake of animal products is it really that much to ask in return for more time with your loved ones?

When I first began cooking without meat and dairy at home it was very difficult to replicate the flavors that I had grown to consider “normal”. However, with a little creativity, and openness to different products, I have found that my cooking has actually improved due to the challenge. I am much more open to different spices and the cuisines I had previously ignored. Now that five years has passed I find cooking without animal products to be my "new normal". Making vegan food is something I do now without thought. I also feel good knowing that I am feeding my family a healthy meal that they can enjoy without compromising their health.

If you are interesting in eating in a manner to reduce the probability of a prostate cancer diagnosis or recurrence, click on the link to this June 3, 2009 article on the topic of diet and prostate cancer. If you are looking for another reason to drink pomegranate juice check out this summary of a recent Journal of Urology article on the health benefits of this powerful dark berry juice. The summary of these articles is not that different from other studies and that is, eat more fruits and vegetables and consume fewer animal products and you will be healthier.

2 comments:

  1. Cute! I wonder what food you feed your felines? Pet food is full of all sorts of terrible by-products and chemicals...my cat is so picky though, she won't eat any of the really healthy kinds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rose,

    Our cats eat two different types of cat food. The baby has had cystitis so we buy a prescription food you can only get from the vet. I combine that with an organic cat food because they prefer the flavor.

    I had a long talk with our vet (who I have known for 25 years) about making cat food and he is strongly against it. I went so far as to buy a veterinary textbook on small animal nutrition and came to the same conclusion. Not that I wanted to. Cats can't be vegan and get all the nutrition they need since they are carnivores. My cats don't seem to know this since they will sneak and eat oil cured olives, whole wheat pizza, hummus and pasta with red sauce.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails