Friday, June 26, 2009

Broccoli Bisque



This soup is a follow up on the blended soup I made yesterday. After reading part of “Eating for Health” yesterday I plan to experiment with many more blended soups this year.

My cooking tends to be low in fat. This broccoli soup, like the asparagus soup yesterday, is higher in fat than most of my recipes. There is a richness from the nuts that makes this soup very satisfying and higher in fat. Additionally, the fat in the nuts makes it easier for the body to absorb the fat-soluble vitamins. You can cut down on the total fat in the soup by reducing the raw cashews in the soup, but it will affect the texture and mouth feel of the final product.

By pureeing the broccoli while still frozen the nutrition present in the vegetable is not destroyed by heat. Many books and articles have indicated that lightly cooked or raw broccoli is more nutritious than cooked broccoli. Since I am very focused on minimizing disease (particularly cancer), I plan to eat my soup cold but it is also good hot. Also, I included two cloves of raw garlic for the cancer protection in the batch of soup I made. You may want to start with one clove of garlic and taste the soup to see if you want to add the second clove.

Broccoli Bisque
Makes 2 large entrée size portions (approximately 4 cups each)

Ingredients:

½ cup raw cashews
3 cups of water
1 - 2 cloves garlic, peeled (depending on your taste)
1 teaspoon of kosher salt
6 cups of frozen broccoli florets

Directions:

Put everything except the broccoli in the blender and puree until the mixture is completely smooth. Add the broccoli one cup at a time and puree until smooth. Continue until the broccoli has been thoroughly incorporated. The soup should be completely smooth when you are finished. I made this soup in a Vitamix blender. If you are using a lower power blender you may need to defrost the broccoli before adding it to the blender. This soup can be served hot or cold.

Nutritional Information:

Amount Per Serving
Calories - 258.52
Calories From Fat (38%) - 98.6

Total Fat - 11.8g
Saturated Fat - 2.06g
Cholesterol - 0mg
Sodium - 1066.52mg
Potassium - 1169.54mg
Total Carbohydrates - 30.79g
Fiber - 14.99g
Sugar - 7.75g
Protein - 17.71g

Comments:

When the weather is hot pureed soups are quick to make and eat. Gazpacho has always been a favorite at our house. This year I am going to be experimenting with additional pureed soups that can be served hot or cold. I like that this soup has as its base a healthy cruciferous vegetable that is reported to help the body fight cancer.

4 comments:

  1. I just discovered this site and have enjoyed reading several of your recipes. They sound great!.

    I notice that in the above recipe process you suggested adding the broccoli florets one cup at a time. I notice that you mentioned a Vitamix blender. I have been reading about them and was under the impression that they are so powerful that you could add the florets all at once. So was that just a suggestion to people with less powerful blenders or did you feel it necessary to blend that way with the Vitamix.

    I just began researching blenders in general and the Vitamix in particular.

    I guess like most people who discover Vitamix I am surprised at the high cost and yet intrigued by their claims.

    I am attempting to eat a more vegetarian, raw diet and generally healthier diet.

    If you have any comments about the Vitamix (I am researching the 5200) I hope you will blog about it).

    I like that your recipes seem to make sense and appear not too difficult to follow for a non cooking dude.

    Thanks for taking the time to post theses recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Appledoozy,

    The reason I suggest adding the broccoli one cup at a time is because itis frozen. When you add it all at once it tends to freeze together and form a big clump. With a Vitamix you have a plunger that you could use to push the frozen clump toward the blade but I find it easier to just add it a little at a time (but it is not necessary for the Vitamix just easier). It would be necessary if using a regular blender.

    We love our Vitamix! It is the most used appliance in the house. I think we have had it about 4 or 5 years now. I looked at them for years and couldn't imagine why a blender would be worth that much money, but it is. I burned up at least 5 good blenders (KitchenAid, Cuisinart, etc) before I bought the Vitamix. I highly recommend them.

    If you have any specific questions about the Vitamix please feel free to ask.

    thanks for the question,
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your reply, Alicia.

    I don't have a specific Vitamix question.

    I am trying to figure out how often and when I would use it to see if it makes economic sense for me.

    I haven't blended anything in years, so blending is not yet a part of my daily or weekly routine.

    I hope others will also chime in on their Vitamix use.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Appledoozy,

    I use my Vitamix to make "cream" soups, raw cashew salad dressing, nut butter, smoothies, and fresh fruit juices.

    I don't think a day goes by that I don't use the Vitamix at least once, and frequently more often. In the summer I make gazpacho four or five times a week in it.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails